LinkedIn is as a prime networking service, for connecting with others professionally as well as for finding jobs. Its range of groups is also considered valuable.
Cost: Free and premium versions
When you log in to LinkedIn you will see your Home Page, and your news feeds. Here you can
- share an update
- upload a photo, or
- publish a post.
On the right hand side it offers suggestions of people you may want to connect with.
In Profile you can edit your own Profile; it is a good idea to review it from time to time to ensure it is up to date, and see who has viewed it.
In Connections you can start to build your network by searching for people you know, importing your contacts from your email lists and taking a look at recommendations for you.
People you are connected to are known as your 1st degree connections. People you’re not yet connected to, but who are linked to your 1st degree connections, are known as your 2nd degree connections, and so on.
In Jobs you can search for jobs.
In Interests you can view Companies who have their own pages that you might want to follow for news and job opportunities. You can also view the Pulse – news and insights recommended for you, as well as find out about LinkedIn for Education
In Interests you can also view the Groups you have joined, and search for other groups. Groups are a useful way to get involved in discussions with your professional colleagues.
You might even want to follow the most influential people in your groups. You can do this by checking the Top Influencers board. You can also create your own Group(s).
LinkedIn Learning offers access to 5,000+ online training courses provided by Lynda.com.
Guides & Resources
- LinkedIn Help Center
- LinkedIn The Beginner’s Guide, Mashable
- The ultimate cheat sheet for mastering LinkedIn, Hubspot
- Everything you need to know about LinkedIn endorsements, Forbes, December 2013
- Getting Started With Linkedin Groups For Teachers, TeachThought, 11 February 2013
- Why LinkedIn Is The Only Personal Branding Resource You Need, Forbes, June 2014
- Do’s & Don’ts When Using LinkedIn for Personal Branding & Job Search, Business2 Community, April 2014
- How to Benefit from the LinkedIn Publishing Platform, Social Media Examiner, March 2014
- The #1 Lesson LinkedIn Wants Users to Learn, John Nemo, Inc, 24 October 2016