On 2 October 2017, I released the Top 200 Tools for Learning 2017 list (the results of the 11th Annual Learning Tools survey). What has become very clear over the last 11 years is that many individuals are now using a wide selection of web-based resources, tools, and services to learn in new ways, and in doing so they have become highly independent continuous learners.
I call these individuals, Modern Professional Learners.
These Modern Professional Learners don’t just have a modern toolset for learning – i.e. they don’t just rely on educational or training tools, but they make use of a wide variety of everyday tools – they also have a new mindset about how and when learning happens for, at and through work, as well as a new learning skillset.
Modern Professionals learn for many different reasons – not just because they have to, to become competent and compliant in their organisation – but because they want to, for their own personal and professional reasons. Here are some of those reasons:
- To acquire a new body of knowledge or a new skill
- To solve a performance problem
- To improve the work they currently do
- To keep up to date with what’s happening in their industry or professional
- To prepare for the future
- For inspiration
- To innovate (i.e. do or think differently)
- For the joy of learning
For Modern Professional Learners, learning is not something that happens just in education or training, but happens in many different ways every day both at work and on the Web. Hence modern learning skills are not just about how to study or take a course online, but how to make the most of all the different experiences and opportunities they seek out and encounter.
For Modern Professional Learners, learning is not something that has to be organised for them, they mostly organise it for themselves, and recognise that it can also happen accidentally or serendipitously as a by-product of doing something else.
Modern Professional Learners understand that learning is ultimately their own responsibility, and appreciate that although their organisation will provide them with training, e-learning and other learning opportunities, it can’t possibly provide them with everything they need throughout their career. In other words, they realise it is up to them to take charge of their own self-improvement (for the now) and self-development (for the future).
So how do you become a Modern Professional Learner? This new resource will show you how.
- You can access the 100 Tasks online. Each task should take you around 20-30 minutes to complete. Of course, you don’t have to do them sequentially if you don’t want to, although there is a logical sequence to them, and later Tasks often refer back to previous ones.
- You can take the 100 Days Challenge.
- You can share your own experiences and thoughts. Your ideas and experiences will be useful to others, and you can learn from or be inspired by others, too
- You can download a personal copy of the 100 Tasks in PDF format to work on privately in your own time
- You can ask and answer any questions about modern professional learning in the Support Area.
Remember though, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to being a Modern Professional Learner, it will be up to you to find what works for you.
In the modern workplace there is no longer such a thing as a job for a life – only a life of jobs – so it’ll be up to everyone to continually update their knowledge, skills, and productivity, and become an independent modern professional learner. Are you ready for the new world of work?
“I just purchased the book and it is an amazing resource! Even the experienced self-directed learner will find new tips and tricks and be able to help others.” Jeffrey Stolz
£29 – if you are happy with a PayPal receipt, payment can be made by credit card or PayPal. Just click on the Buy Now button below and follow the payment instructions.
£39 – If you want an invoice/VAT/receipt and/or want to pay by inter-bank transfer, please email [email protected].Please note full payment will need to be received before access to the resource is provided.
Discounts for group access to the resource are available. Contact [email protected] for a quote
Click the Buy Now link. You will be taken to the PayPal site where you can pay using your PayPal account or by credit card.